Please note-

*Please note- Your browser preferences must be set to 'allow 3rd party cookies' in order to comment in our diaries.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Update on Allison's Surgery-

Day of the Surgery--- Friday, Sept 10, 2010
   Allison was in surgery on Friday, September 10th from about 3:30 to 7:30 PM. Around 8 PM, Dr. McGinn came down the hall toward the waiting room, as I was seeking some staff to check with on progress.  Everything had gone very well, no issues or complications, Allison was in recovery and would be brought to her room before too long.  I thanked her and seeing the relief in my face, she leaned over and hugged me!
   Allison’s recuperation had been progressing along the predicted path for which we are all grateful! She was on a self-administered morphine drip until Sunday night, when the Dr. agreed to put her on a constant drip so she could get more than 20 min­utes of sleep at a time. The next morning, they switched her to oral hydrocodone.  She is on an antibiotic and several vitamins, minerals & alternative supplements to promote healing.  She continues to receive daily Reiki treatments and some hypnotic “boosters” as needed.
   On Thursday, Dr.McGinn examined her, was VERY pleased with her progress and allowed her to come home to Princeton.
   We are dismayed it has taken so long to get this newsletter out.  The challenges of caring for Allison, communication among the team members, not to mention job, fam­ily & other commitments, have allowed us very little time.  Did I mention lack of sleep?
   It has been an education, a privilege and a profoundly inspiring experience to work with Allison and this caretaking team of devoted supporters.  The love and caring we have shared was fueled by all the love and support of this large and extended net­work you are a part of.  So here is Allison’s own first report.
Debbie









From Allison’s Recovery Room— Friday, Sept 17, 2010

   A week ago today, I was lying on a gurney, waiting for surgery, delayed from 7:30 that morning, to 1:30 PM..  It was one of those rooms where you sat with good friends and waited and, at times, all you could hear was the very loud clock on the wall, ticking the time away by the second.  It was one of the loudest clocks I have ever heard – and one of the worst locations in the world for such a clock.  I had been on a liquid diet for 2 days and had not had ANY fluids for 13 hours.


The hospital staff had been uniformly gracious and helpful, from the admissions clerk, to the painter in the hall who saw we were lost and stopped what he was doing to show us our way.  When Deb, Maggie and I came up into the hallway to the pre-surgery room, running down the hall was Stephanie, holding a monarch butterfly balloon with a bunch of flowers attached.  I hadn’t seen her for months since she moved to Washington State and it was a great reunion moment.
   At 2:15 pm they moved me to the pre-surgery room; I felt anxious and frustrated, all alone, for over an hour.  Finally, around 3:30 PM, the doctor came in. They were waiting for the previous patient to clear and had started IV fluids; I became sleepy and was rolled off to surgery.
Some 7 hours later, recognition of being rolled through a room registered.  I saw Dr. McGill somewhere, not sure where.  Sat­urday was much of a blur – push this or that button.  My clearest memories are from Monday, Sunday night being the first time to get any real sleep.  My caretakers noted progress that I was unable to see.
   My caretaking team consisted of Debbie and Maggie, during that first day, with Kate and Catherine showing up later.  The first three nights Debbie, Maggie, Carol, Catherine and Kate provided 24 hour care, taking turns getting a little sleep in the squeaky recliner.
   Some of the nursing staff was fantastic, but they were often understaffed, and so patient care suffered.  The first 3 days the hospital food was constantly mixed up from the orders.  Without multiple advocates watching, logging medications, monitoring the nursing staff and where I was in the process, my outcome simply would not have been as high quality as it is today.
   The mandate for the surgery is that you must have at least 1 individual who can stay with you full time and care for your re­covery.  In my experience that is far short of the reasonable number of individuals it took to get through this last week with excellent care.  I would highly recommend if you are considering this surgery to secure a minimum 2 full time folks be avail­able to be with you for at least the first week, more if possible.
   Kate & Carol moved me from the hospital to a B & B in New Hope on Tuesday afternoon.  The universe sent a gift: Brian, a friend of Ann’s living in New Hope, who helped us get from the hospital to the B & B.  Brian was just the person we needed, caring, jovial and strong, who helped get me into the car and then up the stairs into my room at the B & B.  Then, Eavan Dailey brought a banquet of local, organic food she had carefully & lovingly prepared for Allison and the caretakers.
   The B & B provided a wonderful place of peace and quiet to begin recovery after such a tumultuous hospital visit.  It gave me a place to learn all about hot flashes.  It was where I first realized I had gotten to a place inside my self that everything was really going to be OK.  Before that, with all the pain and constant medical concerns, I was not so sure!  MY first sense of free­dom was at the Fox and Hound.  The awakening from the chrysalis has been a long time in coming.  Each day I feel stronger; each new experience puts my spirit at rest.  And, even though there are more hurdles to complete this recovery, my journey for congruence is close at hand.
   Today writing this from my own bed in Princeton, my new wings are beginning to dry and the flight of complete freedom is soon to be realized.  Thanks to everyone who has made my journey possible.

                                                                                                           Love,  Allison

-end-

1 comment:

  1. Sending healing vibes and best wishes {{{Allison}}}! Hope we get to see you on here for an update very soon! Please keep us posted when you're feeling up to it! Congrats and hugs! And thanks to Debbie for sending the update.
    Terry

    ReplyDelete