Please note-

*Please note- Your browser preferences must be set to 'allow 3rd party cookies' in order to comment in our diaries.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Will Lady Gaga's New Song Be a Gay Anthem?

By Brandon Miller-
 
   Is Lady Gaga's new song a gay anthem? Elton John thinks so. And if Elton thinks something is gay, it seems pretty likely that most people will be swayed. I mean, have you seen his glasses and earrings? Who is gayer than Elton John? Maybe Richard Simmons?

   Gaga's song,  a short snippet of which she sang on the MTV Video Awards, is called Born This Way and will be released next year when her new album comes out. The singer has recently upped her support of the LGBT community by speaking to Congress to call for a repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," and dedicating scores of awards she won to her gay fans. But no fan is bigger and gayer than Elton John.

   "She and I come from exactly the same place," he says. "I love her and I love her ability to write."

   Okay, so I don't know if a 63-year-old gay man and a 24-year-old who wears meat as a dress come from the exact some place. But in any case, Elton John is a musical genius and I have high hopes for Born This Way after hearing the following verse:

How beautiful in my way
Cause God makes no mistakes
I'm on the right track
Baby, I was born this way
   It seems very much like Gaga's attempting to talk to gay youth out there. Perhaps she was inspired by the recent wave of news coverage on gay teen suicides, but since this album has been in the works for a while, I'm going to venture a guess that it's simply Lady Gaga being a huge Friend of Dorothy. And that's why we love her, isn't it? It surely isn't because she wears dresses made of Muppets. (Or meat.)

   "It's amazing," says Elton John. "Born This Way, which is the title song, will completely get rid of Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive. This is the new I Will Survive ... This is the new gay anthem."

   Personally, I like It's Raining Men. Unfortunately, it's often a drought. What do you think? Will Born This Way capture the hearts of the gay community?

-end-

No comments:

Post a Comment