Please note-

*Please note- Your browser preferences must be set to 'allow 3rd party cookies' in order to comment in our diaries.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My father in-law

Never thought I would say those words and have the weight of a legal marriage behind it.

We used to joke about our (air quotes) in-laws, but now its real. Now that I married my husband in August of 2008 I have in-laws. They don't know we are married though, they are very old school Chinese and it just didn't seem important to rock their world. We get on great my father in-law and I. We visit them at least once every couple of months over a weekend. My father in-law and I both get up early and have a cup of coffee while reading the morning paper. Sometimes there's a bit of a language barrier but we understand each other pretty well.

Funny thing about the ability to get married... you get all the rights and the responsibilities, responsibilities like in-laws. I guess I feel lucky that my in-laws never felt like a burden, matter of fact I really enjoy our weekend jaunts to visit them.

Another responsibility? In-laws pass away and my husband is trying to put on a brave face tonight but I know that his big heart is breaking over the fact his dad passed away tonight and he can't wait to fly home tomorrow morning to be with his mom and brothers. Me? My big heart is breaking too... for him, for my father in-law (have you noticed I really like to say that?) and especially for my mother in-law.

Rest in peace Quinn, I'll miss you. You raised a very fine son, I promise to take care of him.

Cooper

4 comments:

  1. {{{cooper, husband and mother-in-law}}}

    so sorry for your loss. may your father-in-law rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much... hubby finally fell asleep, trying not to disturb him so he can catch 6:10am flight. He wanted to drive 7 hours UGH, and I talked him into sleeping then flying. Me? drinking wine and had to play Manfred Mann's - Quinn the Eskimo. I know... but every time I heard my FIL's name that song popped in my head. Seemed appropriate to play. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. Gentle hugs for you and your husband's family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Irish Patti. Gentle hugs felt really nice!

    ReplyDelete