Please note-

*Please note- Your browser preferences must be set to 'allow 3rd party cookies' in order to comment in our diaries.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday Dinner


Hi Everyone,
I am going to try and start some sort of foodie, recipe exchange and cooking diary series. Last night I made a warm, spicy and fall flavored menu. I hope you will enjoy it. I made a chipotle shrimp and corn chowder. The recipe was based on something that I found on www.food.com, which is a great place to start looking for new and interesting dishes. I am fundamentally incapable of not tweaking a recipe



 

Directions:


Prep Time: 40 mins
Total Time: 40 mins

  1. Saute bacon in a large pot over medium heat until crisp.
  2. Add onions,celery, red bell pepper and garlic and saute 3-4 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic.
  3. Stir in flour and cook one minute.
  4. Deglaze with sherry, stirring to scrape up bits from the bottom of the pot.
  5. Stir in broth, potatoes, chipotles. Bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes.
  6. use immersion blender to blend soup ingredients or add portions to regular blender
  7. return to stove on medium heat
  8. Add shrimp, corn and half and half to soup.
  9. Add salt to taste.
  10. Simmer 5 minutes to cook shrimp.
  11. Serve garnish with fresh cilantro
  12. * This is very spicy. Start with 1/2 -1 Tbsp and work your way up according to taste.
For a fall flavor I also made roasted sweet potatoes and butternut squash, spiced with cardamon, pumpkin pie spice, and ground cumin. I cubed and roasted both and lightly seasoned both. When I put them in the roasting pan I sprinkled a little extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.



20 comments:

  1. Thanks Sweetie, dinner sounds yummy! glad you got the photo embed to work. Did you have any other trouble pulling the diary together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I didn't really have a problem, aside from new laptop learning curve.

    The soup is delicious and I highly recommend people try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had salmon and lobster pinwheels and baked potatoes tonight. And I made a lemon butter sauce for the salmon and grilled some onions to go with.

    And I ate too much with my stomach condition and need to go lay down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The recipe looks great!!! as well as the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you MUST refresh in order to see written comment in the thread under the diary here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so yummy. I'm definitely doing this recipe. I'm assuming fresh shrimp is best, but could frozen be used too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. anybody interested in signing on for a weekly slot to host something like this? I'd prefer we keep evening fun/cultural/non-political but you guys tell me. what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great! Can't wait to try it. Thanks, Patti! I shared it on Fb, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. got a close up of plate Patti? so we can all drool on our keyboards?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used frozen shrimp, because that is all I can get here in the mountains. It was so yummy and pretty easy. My sweetie Jay was my sous chef, actually we worked together on the prep work :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. lamz, see the live chat window below, you also must refresh your browser window to see new comments here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to put the left overs in the freezer, so I don't have a picture. I am going to try and work 90 hours a week, so I need to have food put aside for Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  13. it is only half a pound with the tails on. not that much, but just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. jeesh Patti, I hope he is taking care of you too through these difficult times. He should be making fabulous meals for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I want to go back to school, I need to work 90 hours a week until Jan, then I am hoping to only work 48 and finish school.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 4 months of that schedule and you'll need a hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to get a weekend live in position, so I can afford school. I have had a $14 an hour pay cut moving here. I am making so much less than I used to. Two jobs are needed so eventually I can afford only one job.

    ReplyDelete