Please note-

*Please note- Your browser preferences must be set to 'allow 3rd party cookies' in order to comment in our diaries.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

CNN - Thursday's intriguing people

Victoria Kolakowski


Victoria Kolakowski, a candidate for Alameda County Superior Court judge in California, is holding a slight lead over opponent John Creighton and will become the first transgender judge in the nation if she wins.
The 49-year-old has been a lawyer since 1989 and has dealt with copyright, business and patent cases. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Kolakowski had sex reassignment surgery in 1991. When the state Supreme Court declared same-sex marriages legal there in 2008, she married her partner, a woman, the Chronicle reported.
On her website, Kolakowski said she wants "to be clear that I am not asking voters to elect me simply because I am transgender."
However, she said that her being transgender would help the community to "see people like me as respectable professionals and even colleagues, and not as 'freaks.'
"Therefore I am passionate about blazing this trail for my community," she wrote. "I have been very fortunate to have a successful career as a public servant, and I feel an obligation to serve my community as a role model as well."

-end-

No comments:

Post a Comment