Please note-

*Please note- Your browser preferences must be set to 'allow 3rd party cookies' in order to comment in our diaries.

Monday, October 4, 2010

10.2.10 Crowd Pictures


Update: 10.2.10 Crowd Pictures Hotlist

ShareNew   0 

Mon Oct 04, 2010 at 08:45:36 AM PDT

I was hoping to make up this diary while I had a short layover in Philly on my way back to Portland. But it was not to be due to unavoidable flight delays.
The One Nation Working Together press release claims 175,000 in attendance. This was verified by a phone call to Aimee Castenell.
I wasn't going to spend my short time in D.C. sitting online when there were so many museums to explore- they are free by the way. They accept donations for those of you able to afford to be benevolent. But back to the subject
I was hoping someone would get somewhat of a better idea of attendance from the event from these photos.
Update: the origin of the 175,000 in attendance number is from a variety of determinants including: 60,000 bus ridership from various charter services, the increase in ridership from metro rail and metro bus lines, and numbers from the increased traffic in the Washington D.C. area. This was provided by Andrea Alford at One Nation Working Together. I am awaiting more precise confirmation and links to the source material they originated from.
The constant stream of attendees exiting the Smithsonian Metro station was impressive for ten a.m.
IMG_3107


This Photo from the distant elevation of the Washington Memorial was taken at  10:11 a.m.
IMG_3112
At the base of the Reflecting Pool furthest from the Lincoln Memorial shows the crowd building at  10:19 a.m.
IMG_3113
The crowd accumulating at the steps to the Lincoln Memorial at 10:28 a.m. was enthused.
IMG_3114
At 10:41a.m. the view from the top of the stairs at the Lincoln Memorial was quite stirring. Especially since the event was not scheduled to begin for over an hour.
IMG_3115
I panned the next four shots to show an idea of the attendance on the largest platform. They were all taken with the time stamp of 10:49 a.m.
IMG_3118
IMG_3119
IMG_3120
IMG_3121
I know I will get a lot of pies thrown at me for the next few shots because I was not paying attention and placed them on the black and white setting accidentally. Please send me cherry or banana cream vegan pies. I will keep playing with the settings I have available in an attempt to correct them but this is the best I could do for the moment.  Again, a shot of the crowd gathering at the base of the stairs this time at 2:03 p.m.
IMG_3150
Panning to the right I continue to get an idea of the size of the crowd shooting from the same position.
IMG_3151
Moments later the pan continues.
IMG_3152
Here is a shot showing how many there are and if it is magnified it will show the  density to be uniform all the way to the World War II memorial.  3:06 p.m. was the time stamp.
IMG_3153
I wanted to include this one not especially for the crowd density but for the fact that is really a good shot.IMO.
IMG_3177

No comments:

Post a Comment