Please note-

*Please note- Your browser preferences must be set to 'allow 3rd party cookies' in order to comment in our diaries.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

President Obama Can Learn From President Johnson:

By David Mixner -


Johnson_russell In 1964, President Lyndon Johnson was facing a filibuster attempting to stop the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Bill. When finally passed, the bill went a long way to ending official segregation in the United States. It was a landmark piece of civil rights legislation.
My friend Scott of BillInExile (NSFW) had on his site this transcription of a conversation between powerful Georgia Senator Richard Russell and President Lyndon Johnson (picture). As far as the LGBT struggle for freedom perhaps President Obama could learn from this exchange.
Johnson: Dick, I owe you everything politically and you and I both know that. I wouldn’t have been elected to the senate without you and I would never have been made majority leader without you.
Russell: I know that Lyndon.
Johnson: And without being majority leader I never would have been elected Vice President and eventually President as I am now.
Russell: That’s right, Lyndon.
Johnson: So I absolutely owe you everything Dick and that’s why I’m gonna warn you in advance that if you try to get in my way of passing this civil rights bill I’m gonna roll right over you. You understand me?
Russell: If you try to pass this bill Lyndon you’ll lose the south for the Democrats for a generation or more.
Johnson: Well Dick, I know that and that’s just the price I’m gonna have to pay and the Democratic Party is gonna have to pay in order to do the right thing for the Negro and for the nation.

for more visit Live from Hell's Kitchen.

-end-

No comments:

Post a Comment