Please note-

*Please note- Your browser preferences must be set to 'allow 3rd party cookies' in order to comment in our diaries.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

How Whole Foods & Housing Works Are Joining Together to Fight HIV/AIDS and Homelessness

By Maia Spotts -

Who here likes to eat? Can I get a show of hands? I have a dirty little secret: I like to eat every day, often up to four or five times. Crazy, I know. I prefer to eat local, organic, fresh foods and anything containing at least 65% cacao.
I live in New York City, so it's fairly easy to maintain this demanding lifestyle. Ethnic restaurants, gourmet grocery stores, a pretzel stand every 27 feet, and the option of having essentially anything I want delivered within 45 minutes means I can feed myself and my family easy-peasy. But tomorrow, December 15, I am searching out all culinary needs at one place, and one place only: Whole Foods.
Tomorrow, (Wednesday 12-15) at all New York City locations, Whole Foods will donate 5% of all after-tax proceeds to Housing Works, an awesome local organization that houses, feeds, employs and advocates for those living with HIV/AIDS. Housing Works not only works hard here in New York, but the company's efforts in Haiti are beyond honorable and need to continue.
As if that wasn't a sweet enough deal, the first 200 customers at each Whole Foods location will receive a free reusable grocery bag. Save the world, all before breakfast.
I know that for some Whole Foods is a suspect retailer, although I would argue it's a lesser evil. But having shopped now at almost every Whole Foods in the greater New York area I can tell you this: you can get local products, organic produce, and plenty of things not made in China. If you want to send a message to Whole Foods, purchase items that support local farmers, organic USA made goods. When you couple that with the opportunity to send some much needed funding to Housing Works, it's win/win any way you slice it.
When you check out, be sure to let your friendly clerk know that the reason you are shopping is to support Housing Works. And if you don't live in New York, you can find your local Whole Foods store here. Why not drop them a note, urging them to donate a percentage of one day's profits to your favorite local charity?
Happy dining!

-end-

No comments:

Post a Comment