Last night, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) honoured Ricky Martin, Anderson Cooper and NBC’s 30 Rock among many others with awards for their contribution to the LGBT community.
The GLAAD media awards were held at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square to celebrate the people and stories that are changing hearts and minds.
Film producers Neil Meron and Craig Zadan presented the Vito Russo Award to Ricky Martin, who came out as gay last year. GLAAD cited the positive LGBT role model he has become for the Latino community. He is the father of twin boys.
Martin thanked his parents and boyfriend before he told the audience: “let’s go Latin America and let’s share the love.” Oprah Winfrey won best talk show episode for her interview with Ricky Martin when he came out as gay.
The Reverend Al Sharpton presented hip hop producer Russell Simmons with the Excellence in Media Award. The founder of Def Jam records has been a vocal advocate of LGBT rights including the repeal of ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ ban on the gay people being honest about their sexuality while serving in the military . Earlier this month, he posted a video in support of the New Yorkers for Marriage Equality campaign.
Comedian Tina Fey accepted an award for NBC’s 30 Rock. Denis O’Hare accepted the outstanding drama award for HBO’s True Blood. Black womens’ website Essence.com took the outstanding digital journalism prize. Anderson Cooper won an award for his coverage of a series of gay teenage suicides on CNN.
17-year-old Nikki Peet spoke about her work with GLAAD to create a Gay Straight Alliance in her school. The campaign attracted international media attention after her school banned all extracurricular activities rather than let Ms Peet form the alliance.
The full list of winners is below.
- Excellence in Media Award: Russell Simmons
- Vito Russo Award: Ricky Martin
- Outstanding Drama Series: True Blood (HBO) [Accepted by: Denis O'Hare]
- Outstanding Individual Episode (in a series without a regular LGBT character): “Klaus & Greta” 30 Rock (NBC) [Accepted by: Tina Fey]
- Outstanding Digital Journalism – Multimedia: “Bridal Bliss: Aisha and Danielle” by Bobbi Misick (Essence.com) [Accepted by: Aisha Mills and Danielle Moodie, with Essence.com editor, Emil Wilbekin]
- Outstanding Talk Show Episode: “Ricky Martin Coming Out as a Gay Man and a New Dad” The Oprah Winfrey Show (syndicated)
- Outstanding TV Journalism – Newsmagazine: “Gay Teen Suicides” (series) Anderson Cooper 360 (CNN)
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: “Rutgers Student Tyler Clementi’s Suicide Spurs Action Across U.S.” by Judy Peet (The Star-Ledger [Newark, N.J.])
- Outstanding Newspaper Columnist: Frank Rich (The New York Times)
- Outstanding Newspaper Overall Coverage: Denver Post
- Outstanding Magazine Article: “What Happens When You Find the One…And He’s Nothing – Nothing – Like You Expected?” by Allison Cooper (O, The Oprah Magazine)
- Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage: The Advocate/Out
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: “View From Washington” (series) by Kerry Eleveld (Advocate.com)
- Outstanding Blog: Joe. My. God. (http://joemygod.blogspot.com/)
- Outstanding Music Artist: Scissor Sisters, Night Work (Downtown Records)
- Outstanding Comic Book: X-Factor by Peter David (Marvel Comics)
- Outstanding Los Angeles Theater: Something Happened by L. Trey Wilson
- Outstanding New York Theater: Broadway & Off–Broadway: The Pride by Alexi Kaye Campbell
- Outstanding New York Theater: Off–Off Broadway: When Last We Flew by Harrison David Rivers
- Outstanding Novela: ¿Dónde está Elisa?(Telemundo)
- Outstanding Daytime Talk Show Episode: TIE: “Mamá vístete de hombre” Casos de Familia (Univision) and “La Proposición 8″ Caso Cerrado (Telemundo)
- Outstanding Talk Show Interview: “Saliendo del closet después de los 30″ El Show de Cristina (Univision)
- Outstanding TV Journalism – Newsmagazine: “En nombre del amor” Primer Impacto (Univision)
- Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: “Aumenta el hostigamiento” Despierta América (Univision)
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: “Acosados hasta el punto del suicidio” by Rubén Moreno (La Opinión)
- Outstanding Magazine Article: “Estoy feliz de ser quien soy” by María Morales (People en Español)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: “Fedro llegó para quedarse” by Amy Linares (PadrisimoMagazine.com)