Please note-

*Please note- Your browser preferences must be set to 'allow 3rd party cookies' in order to comment in our diaries.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Spelman Student JeShawna Wholley Honored for LGBT Activism

By Brandon Miller -

When I think of Spelman College, I think of that Cosby spinoff from the late 1980s, A Different World. The show was based around a fictional institution - Hillman College - but a lot of it was actually shot at Spelman. So when I hear about Spelman, that's the connection I make. But Spelman is adding to the list of things that will resonate in my super-gay brain. Yeah, Spelman is coming into its own as an LGBT-positive campus, and one activist is being honored as the catalyst for it.
Spelman is an all-women's historically black college. And thanks to JeShawna Wholley, Spelman has been able to establish a thriving Pride week. Wholley started the festivities in 2009 and the two-year-old celebrations are joined in on by a neighboring men's college.
“It feels wrong to sit by passively while important social matters that affect not only me but generations to come need to be addressed,” Wholley said in a speech. “The work that I do is an essential part of who I am, and I find out more about myself the further I am able to advance in the fight for human equality.”
As one of their top 12 leaders in action, Wholley received the 2011 Voice & Action National Leadership Award from Campus Pride. She also got to meet President Obama, when she was invited to a reception to recall the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots. Keep in mind that Wholley hasn't even graduated yet.
The activist was a panelist at the State of Black Gay America Summit, held in Atlanta. The other panelists included state representatives, a police liaison and the executive director of the National Black Justice Coalition.

-end-

No comments:

Post a Comment