Please note-

*Please note- Your browser preferences must be set to 'allow 3rd party cookies' in order to comment in our diaries.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Golden Globes 2011: Chris Colfer (Glee) wins for best performance by an actor in a supporting role

B

The actor teared up backstage when asked about his character becoming a gay rights figure.

Chris Colfer took a stand against bullying at the Golden Globes, where he was named best TV supporting actor for his role as gay teen Kurt Hummel in Fox's Glee.
In his accepting his award, Colfer ended his speech on a serious note.
"Most importantly, to all the amazing kids that watch our show and the kids that our show celebrates, who are constantly told 'no' by the people in their environments, by bullies at school that they can't be who they are or have what they want because of who they are. Well, screw that, kids," Colfer said.
Colfer got emotional backstage in the press room.
"I have my big-boy pants on right now. I'm trying not to cry!" he said. "I hate to say I'm a Cinderfella, but I've been watching the Globes since I was an embryo. I got a Facebook message from an elementary school friend who said, 'I remember you standing up and talking about attending the Golden Globes when we were little.'"
Colfer's composure nearly slipped away again when asked about being a gay rights figure.
"Now I'm really trying not to cry, but one of the best things, for all the kids who are watching tonight, who don't understand that Kurt Hummel is a character… they saw him win and that's great."
Colfer plans to party to celebrate his win.
"I hope LAPD lets me off with a warning tonight. I don't have tickets, but hopefully this [holds up Globe] will get me in [to events]!" he joked.
Colfer wants to "sleep with my award… to really make sure it happened. Usually when I win this is when I wake up."



-end-

No comments:

Post a Comment