Please note-

*Please note- Your browser preferences must be set to 'allow 3rd party cookies' in order to comment in our diaries.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Arkansas school board member to resign over anti-gay post

(CNN) -- A school district school member in Arkansas who came under fire for an anti-gay post on a social networking site regrets the comments and will resign his seat, he told CNN's Anderson Cooper on Thursday.

"I'm sorry I've hurt people with my comments," Clint McCance, vice-president of the Midland School District, said. "I'm sorry I made those ignorant comments and hurt people on a broad spectrum."

McCance wrote on his personal Facebook page that he wanted gay people to commit suicide, according to The Advocate, a newspaper focusing on gay news.

McCance used the terms "queer" and "fag" repeatedly, promised to disown his own children if they are gay and stated that he enjoys "the fact that [gay people] give each other AIDS and die."

On Thursday, he disowned the comments.

"I would never support suicide for any kids," he said. "I don't support bullying of any kids."

"The words I used were unfortunate... but they can't be taken back," he said. "All I can do now is extend my apologies for my poor speech."

Though he disapproves of homosexuality, McCance said Thursday that "I give everyone a chance and try to love everyone."

-end-

1 comment:

  1. Wow. He phrased it like an actual apology. None of this "I'm sorry IF you were offended" stuff. He actually said, "I'm sorry I've hurt people ..." He really isn't a politician.

    ReplyDelete