Please note-

*Please note- Your browser preferences must be set to 'allow 3rd party cookies' in order to comment in our diaries.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Clutter - Three Poems

By Robyn

I recently had to empty one office and move all my shit into another one in a different building. As often has happened when I have done this sort of thing, I uncovered an old scrap of paper. On it were three poems. Searching my data banks has revealed that two of them were micro-planed into poems which I have published before, in slightly different form.

Because of the start of the new semester, that's about all I've got to share this evening.

Originally I was going to write a piece entitled In the good old days, they just called us perverts, but I didn't find the time to flesh it out. If anyone wants to discuss the topic, I'm game to do so in the comments.



The upper left side of the paper displayed the following:

Old Dog - New Tricks

Having refused
to continue being
who I was
I had to learn
to be who I wished
to be

Unload all
or just some?
What changes
and what remains?

It's like trying
to pair old socks
What part is me
and what part was pretense?

What part only
existed for the sake
of appearance?

Learning how to learn
is even harder
Thank God
I was a teacher


Apparently that was written near the end of January of 2006, since I found this in my archives:


In Pairs
New Tricks
riffs on a theme


Discontinuity
Total refusal
to be who I was
balked at the concept
finally stood up

New environment
Learn to fit in
or face rejection
Is it ever enough?
There are always bigots

"Learning to fly
but I ain't got wings"
And coming down
can smash your face
into the ground

It's like trying
to pair up old socks
only much more serious
What portion is me
and what part pretense?

Non-vital essence
What only exists
for the sake of appearance
for convenience
for comfort, safety?

Being dead is safe
eventually
Learning is so hard
Learning how to exist
painfully harder

There is no blueprint
no textbook to consult
nor guide on this trail
I am a teacher
I must lead myself


--Robyn Serven
--January 25, 2006


On the right hand side of the page, only this had been written:

Untitled

Like sloughing off
old skin
Leaving pieces
along my life path
Stashing this here
and that there
One must tear down
before one rebuilds


Again, I found this in my archives:


Eyes
Exuviation


Like sloughing off
old skin
leaving chunks
along a life path
flaying myself alive
stashing a lump here
and a sliver there
One must tear down
before one rebuilds
sometimes embracing
portions of the past
bits left behind
sometimes not
always hoping
that joy might arise
from burying pain
and trying to forget
where it was left


--Robyn Elaine Serven
--January 24, 2006


The third poem was from the lower left corner of the page.

One Must Die

Who was I?
Who was he?
It took a sharp blade
to divide us

It was painful
since he had to die
but it was more painful
that he lived

There was only
one vessel


At first I could find nothing in the archives which seemed to correspond. Then I changed my search criterion and found this:


Who?
Choosing


He was
I am and will be
It took a sharp blade to divide us
He carried me through tough times
and brought me to where I could be
but it was unbearable
too utterly suffocating
and bitterly ravaging
that he lived while I hid
wasting away
slowly rotting
the years away
a life mislived
It was him
or both of us
There was only one vessel
One had to die
I chose
I chose him
I do not regret that he lived
I am who he wished he could be
but could not manage
to be
Not to be
was the alternative
so I chose


--Robyn Elaine Serven
--January 25, 2006


Thinking I might have to supply a graphic to go with One Must Die, I created the following:


Ripped Apart


The little sliver of pink amidst the blues on the bottom was intentional, representing what it felt like to be my former self.

5 comments:

  1. The tables don't work perfectly, but I can make do.

    Originally posted at Docudharma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all very thankful you are a teacher Robyn. Thank you. And thanks for sharing this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goes up at the Orange in about 25 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robyn,

    I already commented on this piece over at DK, but I just wanted to add my two cents here, too. For my money, this is one of the best things you've ever written. How odd that you start the piece kind of apologizing for not having time to write something else. I, for one, am really glad you didn't have the time, because then I might have missed this piece, which has done more to help me understand what it's like be trans than anything I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete